The monastery was founded at the time of Second Bulgarian Kingdom, it was twice plundered and destroyed by the kurdzhalii. In 19th century the monastery was restored, but during The Russian-Turkish War of Liberation it was set on fire. After the Liberation the cloister and some new residential buildings were restored in Renaissance style.
The monastery is a complex of a church, residential and farm buildings; and two chapels ( Sts. Peter and Pavel and St. Archangel Michael) inside the residential part.
The church, with a size of 23.50 m. x 11 m., was built in 1834 and represents a basilica, one-apse, domeless building with open narthex. During the Revival period there was a large library and a monastery school inside.
At present, the monastery is regularly active and is proclaimed to be a monument of culture.