It is believed that the monastery was established in 16th century. Later on, it was plundered and destroyed by bands of the so-called “Kurdjalii”. The monastery was reconstructed twice during 19th century – first in 1855, and then – in 1882.
In 1886 Prince Alexander Battenberg (then dethroned) stayed for short in the monastery. He spent two nights there.
The monastery consists of a single-nave, one-apse church with a narthex, an old wooden bell-tower, as well as decaying residential and farm buildings. A well, a fountain and a shelter with tables and benches can be also seen in the yard. These facilities make the monastery a preferred place for picnics by locals and visitors from different places.
At present, the monastery is not inhabited, and the church stays locked. The official information is that the church is being opened only on major religious holidays. Nevertheless, the monastery complex looks well kept, even if most buildings are obviously very old and need urgent repair.