Bistritsa Monastery

Popular Name Bistritsa
Orthodox Name St.Yoakim and Anna
Region SW, Sofia

Location
The Bistritsa monastery "St. Yoakim and Anna" is located in the Mali dol country of the Vitosha mountain, about 2 km to the south-east of the village of Bistritsa.

History and general info
The monastery "St. Peter" which had existed on its present place in the 9th—10th century, was destroyed by the Turks in the 14th century. Its foundations were discovered in 1925 and the present church was sanctified in 1950. During the period 1965-77 residential buildings were built.

At present the complex represents a church, one-nef, one-apse, with a cupola and inner and outer narthex, residential and farm buildings. The church was built over a mound necropolis, and under the church nef there is a preserved ancient vault from the end of the 4th - the beginning of the 5th century (3.35 x 2.99 x 2.28 m), to which a stone staircase from the narthex leads.

The cloister functions regularly. 9th September is the Patron Saint’s day.
Accommodation and food
Not offered at this time.
Transport
The distance from the monastery to the center of Sofia is 18 km.
Contacts


For all your travel needs, contact Amadeus7 - touroperator in Bulgaria.
Send email to or call directly tel. +359 878 822 803.



  Historical value:
Rating: 3.0/7 (3 votes cast)
  Tourist facilities:
Rating: 3.0/7 (3 votes cast)
  Transportation:
Rating: 3.3/7 (4 votes cast)
  Our presentation:
Rating: 3.0/7 (3 votes cast)

Post a comment
Name
Email  (will not be published)