The monastery was established in the 10th century, but as most Bulgarian monasteries of that time, it was destroyed during the Ottoman invasion in the 14th century. Following Bulgaria’s liberation from Ottoman rule in 1878, a small church was built there that existed until 1951. The present-day church was constructed in 1956. At present, the monastery is operational though during our visit in early 2006 it was temporary closed to visitors as its last father superior had died while no replacement had yet been appointed.
The monastery consists of a small church, residential and farm buildings. The church, named after St Iliya, consists of a single nave, has no dome and has a narthex and a bell-tower rising above it.
The church’s holiday is celebrated on the 14th October.