According to the legend for the establishment of the Divotino monastery, the cloister was built by a man and his wife, who found a pot with gold pieces while ploughing their land. They uploaded the pot on a donkey’s back, saying that they would build the monastery in the place where the donkey fell and died. The donkey died of exhaustion between two currents, and construction started in 1046.
The area where the pot was found is still known as “The Fortune”. Only small wooden part of the iconostasis and three wall-painted icons are the remains from the old monastery. The so-called bands of Kurdzhalii stole sheep, cows, horses and buffaloes from the monastery at the end of 1806. According to a legend the chief of the Kurzhalii, Hassan Hodzha, who led the stolen cattle, was killed by a thunder. He was buried fast and his men ran away, leaving behind the plundered animals. The place, where Hassan Hodzha was buried according to the legend is still known as “Hodzha’s Grave”.
The monastery is known as the Tsar’s Monastery, because of the frequent visits of Tsar Ferdinand there during his rule. Tsar Ferdinand donated two carriages to the then-Mother Superior of the Divotino monastery, Claudia. One of the carriages was used for representative purposes, while the other one served for overseeing the vast real estate properties of the monastery. There was a small monastery school inside the cloister and the monastery itself played a major role during the national struggle for liberation, giving shelter to the national revolutionary Vassil Levski.
The present-day church and monastery buildings were built in 1902, after the complex had been set on fire for three times. The church represents a small, one-nave, cross-shaped building, constructed after the Athos architectural style. One can enjoy the beautiful fountain, several fruit trees, a wooden table with benches and a shadowed shelter in the yard of the monastery.
The church holiday is on the 50th day after Easter. On that day, the monks throw walnut leaves out of the altar’s gates towards the worshipers, as the leaves remind of the tongues of flame, which embodied the Holy Spirit during his appearance before Christ’s apostles 50 days after Resurrection.
After one drives to the town of Bankya, he/she needs to drive to the quarter of Michailovo, and then take an asphalt road to the right just before Michailovo is entered. From that turn it takes about a kilometer before one needs to take a dirty road to the left that leads straight to the monastery after 2-3km. The dirty road does not require an off-road vehicle.