The Lozen monastery was built in the 11-12th c. but was destroyed during the invasion of Ottoman troops to Bulgaria in the late 14th century. A monk, who came from the Athos peninsula in Greece, rebuilt it in the 17th century.
The present-day church, St Spas, was built in 1821. It consists of 3 naves. In 1868, the church was painted with frescoes most of which have survived to date. Kiril and Methodi, St Ivan of Rila, Patriarch Evtimii and many other are painted with exceptionally great devotion. Some biblical scenes can be seen, too. Among the images canonized Sofia citizens such as Nikola Novi of Sofia, Geori Novi of Sofia, Konstantin of Sofia can be also recognized.
At present, the existing residential buildings have been renovated and a new residential part has been built for guests. It is a nun's monastery, which functions regularly.