Kremikovtsi Monastery

Popular Name Kremikovtsi
Orthodox Name St. George the Victorious
Region SW, Sofia

The Kremikovtsi monastery, named St. George, is located about 3km away from the quarter of Kremikovtsi. While traveling on the way to the monastery, the visitor sees ugly places on both sides of the road but when he/she gets out of the quarter, there is a magnificent view around, where no trace of the polluted air or the unpleasant view at the foot of the hills is to be found.

History and general info
This cloister also dates back to the Second Bulgarian State – it is believed that the monastery was built at the time of Ivan Alexander. In 1382 the monastery was completely ruined. 111 years later, however, it was entirely reconstructed.

Two perpendicular residential buildings, an old church and a new church form the whole complex. The older church, which represents a relatively small building, is of the biggest interest in terms of its historical value. It was built in 1493 (later renovated in 1611) and it is that period that its frescoes date to. Most of the wall paintings have been (and are still being) restored to survive to present days. They were created in accordance with the Bulgarian medieval tradition. The composition with the church’s patron, St George, on top of a white horse with his long spear stabbed into the dragon, is particularly impressive. One can notice differences in the styles of the wall paintings in the entrance and the main hall, which suggests the contribution of various artists to the internal decoration.

The new church (1902) is a nice building, which keeps the relics of the monastery – The Kremikovtsi New Testament of the Middle Ages (1497) and a wooden iconostasis dating back to the 17th century. The residential buildings were entirely repaired in the last few years. This monastery is considered to be one of the most valuable cultural monuments of the Middle Ages to be found on the Balkan peninsula.
Accommodation and food
Despite the relatively large residential buildings, the Kremikovtsi monastery does not offer food or accommodation. The wooden tables and benches, which look to a marvelous view to the city, can be used by visitors for a lunch with the food they bring.
The monastery is easy to reach by car. One needs to leave the city and follow the direction towards Kremikovtsi. The way to the monastery starts from the main road in the former village and current quarter of Kremikovtsi and ends at the cloister’s gates.

For all your travel needs, contact Amadeus7 - touroperator in Bulgaria.
Send email to or call directly tel. +359 878 822 803.

  Historical value:
Rating: 1.1/7 (10 votes cast)
  Tourist facilities:
Rating: 1.0/7 (10 votes cast)
Rating: 1.0/7 (10 votes cast)
  Our presentation:
Rating: 1.5/7 (11 votes cast)

Post a comment
Email  (will not be published)