The Klisura monastery was built in 1240, at the time of the Second Bulgarian State. During the Ottoman rule, it was raided and destroyed several times. In 1862, the Turkish pasha, Yusuf Bey from the town of Berkovitsa, slaughtered all the monks and pilgrims and burnt the cloister to ashes. The monastery was reconstructed in 1869 by archimandrite Antim Damyanov while the church, St Cyril and Metodii, was officially consecrated in 1891 by Vidin’s metropolitan bishop.
The church was painted by two renowned Bulgarian artists, Gospodin Zhelyazkov and prof. Georgi Bogdanov in 1937. The authors of the iconostasis are from the Samokov and Debur schools. The icons in the old shrine were painted in the 18th - 19th c. and most of them were made by the hand of Nikola Obrazopisov. À new, but significantly smaller church, named St Nikola, was built a few years ago.
Three residential buildings, a big farmyard and a kitchen, together with the two churches form the monastery complex. In 2000, a so-called ‘live water’ was found in the holy spring of the monastery. The spring water is considered to be curative.
The Klisura monastery offers perfect conditions for a peaceful holiday. It has 80 beds and two apartments, the prices being 8 levs per bed in a room and 10 levs per bed in an apartment. All rooms have their own bathrooms. The restaurant of the monastery offers traditional Bulgarian meals cooked with products of the monastery’s farm. A mountain hiking, horse riding, and folklore performances (including the baking of ritual bread) are also offered in the monastery.