Its establishment is related to a late Roman and early Bulgarian fortress in the Kaleto (Fortress) area that existed until the start of the 11th century and to a medieval settlement, known simply as Selishteto (the Settlement) that existed until the Second Bulgarian State (12-14th century).
During the winter of 1594-1595 some military operations against the Turks were led by the Wallach chieftain Mihail Vityazul. He conquered the Bulgarian towns of Turgovishte, Tutrakan, Ruschuk (present-day Rousse), Svishtov, Nikopol, Pleven, Vratsata (present-day Vratsa) and others, and reached by the Balkan mountain. It is exactly then when the Cherepish, Gradeshnitsa and Strupetski monasteries were set on fire and destroyed.
The monastery complex consists of two parts – an inner monastery yard and a farm yard that are entirely surrounded by high stone walls with four big and two small gates. One can also find a small chapel named “St John of Rila the Miracle worker” as well as two-storey residential buildings in the southwestern walls. The buildings were thoroughly refurbished and reconstructed in 1972. The monastery’s church “Birth of the Fair and Glorious Prophet, Precursor and Baptizer of God, John” stands out in the middle of the inner monastery complex.
The architectural style of the present-day church confirms that it was established over the foundations of an old medieval church. This is evidenced by old stone pieces built in its construction. The church consists of a single nave, and represents a solid construction of hewed stone pieces. The church’s cross is also made of hewed stone and represents the Pieta – the Crucified Jesus Christ with Virgin Mary and St John at his feet. The plate represents a relatively small square with its sides being no bigger than 70-80cm and having primitive paintings. A primitive angel can be also seen built in the frame of the window in the northern wall of the church. The painting of a snake built in the corner of the frieze beneath the cross is also quite elementary.
The present-day church was built in 1861 with donations and voluntary labor by people from the village of Gradeshnitsa and neighboring villages.
In 1972, the church was repaired, while in the period of 2000-2001, its interior was completely renovated. The frescoes and the iconostasis’ icons were painted by a team of professional copiers and icon-painters with funds donated by the nuclear power plant in Kozloduy. The frescoes and the interior were consecrated on the church holiday of June 24 in 2001 by the Vratsa Metropolitan Priest Kalinik.
There are two legends for the establishment of the monastery. According to the first, narrated by Hieromonk Dionisii, during Ottoman rule, there was an old monastery in the Kurnivo area, about 1,500 meters north of the present-day monastery. During raids by the so-called Kurdzhalii bands, the monastery was set on fire while its monks – slaughtered. Only one monk survived and he settled in that area where now the monastery lies. At that time, the place had only a ritual stone (still preserved), and was surrounded by thick forests on all sides. This monk built a wooden hut there and settled there as a hermit. In a few years’ time, people from neighboring villages learnt about the monk and started visiting him for advice and prayer. Soon they built the first monastery in the place of his wooden hut.
According to the second legend, a brother and a sister from the village of Gromshin decided to restore the ruined monastery in the area of Kurnivo. They carried stones beams and shingles to the place. When they started construction, a huge eagle started circling above the place and suddenly flew towards them, taking a shingle up in his feet. He then flew to the south and dropped the shingle in the place where currently the monastery stands. The people took this as an omen and built the monastery exactly in this place.
The tomb of a female monk, Glikeria, also gives information on the monastery’s history. A cross over the tomb shows the year of her death, 1821, which suggests that at that time, the monastery was inhabited by nuns.
The monastery was also a cultural and religious centre. From 1821 to 1868 it hosted a religious school attended by people from neighboring villages.
The monastery’s holiday is June 24, the Birth of the St John the Precursor.
The Gradeshnitsa monastery offers food and accommodation. It can host up to 33 people for night stays, while there are some 40 places in the inside and in the open air where guests can have a meal. The monastery also has its own guarded parking lot for 30 cars.
The Gradeshnitsa monastery is a wonderful place for business lunches, dinners, family holidays, wedding and baptizing ceremonies.